Reed has been called to serve as Assistant to the Operations Manager of Heber Valley Camp. It is hard for Reed to help with and alleviate the huge workload of the Operations Manager when we are new and don't know much about all the aspects of camp. Reed and I received our work assignment for the summer. We will be the host couple for operating Challenge Course #5. Because it is completely covered with snow, we will be driving to a Challenge Course Training Center in Provo on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week to learn 'the ropes.' (literally)
Most of the trailers have moved up to camp but many are still experiencing frozen pipes and all manner of problems. It snowed again overnight and today. Doesn't Mother Nature realize it is the 1st of May, not April Fool's Day? Last year it was 87 degrees on this day in Salt Lake and today it was 45 degrees. It is the coldest May Day since 1954. Our thermometer is reading 34 degrees and dropping at the present time. B-r-r-r-r-r!
We went home and picked up a bunch of things we forgot and purchased some other things to make life more comfortable. Because of our location we are fortunate to get pretty good cellphone coverage and can get wireless internet. We can get TV reception...not the best, but we can catch the news and weather. I read 'The Herald Journal' online to keep up with what is going on at home, who dies, etc. I miss my tri-view mirror in the bathroom, my icemaker with crushed ice and water in the refrigerator door, a dishwasher, my comfortable intelligel over tempurpedic king-sized bed and my printer/copier. But don't get me wrong, we have it pretty nice here, in fact better than most.
We are having our 3-hour Sunday Meeting Block at a church house in Heber City. It seems really weird to have no babies, children or young adults. We are all in the age category of 55-75 years old. It is so quiet except for occasional snoring. We attend from 1-4 p.m. for now. When it warms up we will have Church Services on the mountain in an open pavilion from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. We will have a potluck supper at 5:45 and then we will meet with our study groups at 7 p.m. The manual for study group will be "Preach My Gospel."
The Elders and Sisters here have a wide span of talent, education, experience and expertise. Ecclesiastically, there are former Bishops, Stake Presidents and Mission Presidents with most having served missions, or on the High Council. Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary Presidents abound. There are those who have many degrees, have run large corporations, those who have been heavy equipment operators, teachers, administrators, secretaries or building contractors. The problem they have here with the wide expanse of knowledge and experience is having too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Evidently too many persons want to take charge. Sometimes people butt heads. Our leadership keeps reminding us that we need to step back and let someone else take the lead. We need to work as teams and we don't always get to do things our own way.
As a reminder, the Spring Open House is Saturday, May 17th from 1-4 p.m. If you would like to visit the camp, check out the driving directions at http://www.hebervalleycamp.org/.
2 comments:
What a beautiful post! I guess I shouldn't be complaining about how hot our house is (I'm too cheap to turn on the A/C for now.) Good luck with your new assignments. We love and miss you.....
I have enjoyed reading all of your blogs. It sounds like everyday is an adventure. I am still at Natalie and Ryan's. I'm taking a break after my 14 hour shift. I don't know how Natalie keeps up with these wild kids. I'm sure you are excellent "camp missionaries" MA
Post a Comment