Thursday, November 20, 2008

Miscellaneous

Our huge 12 foot Christmas tree, which we purchased to fit in this house with the vaulted ceilings, will now be at home at the Burkhardt residence. They have a big, two story entry that will make a great location for it. We gave them our big tree ornaments too. When we had the gigantic tree I had to hang little personalized Christmas stockings on it for our entire family just to take up some space. We are wondering where we can even fit a small Christmas tree this year. I gave Bryan 14 sets of 100 lights which we weren't using. He loves to decorate for Christmas while Reed and I are are sort of scroogey. (Is that a word?) I wrapped my first couple of Christmas gifts last night. That's all I have purchased so far. I had better get busy...just over a month left. I wish I had some spare moo-lah as it would be fun to purchase unexpected gifts for lots of deserving people. I think it would be satisfying to be able to help others financially.


We went for a ride to Bear Lake. We stopped at Beaver Mountain. They hardly have any snow at all. It will be a long time before they open for skiing. Beaver Creek Lodge had banners out advertising snowmobiles for rent. This good weather must be tough for business. Most places in the canyon are totally bare and dry with no evidence of snow. I have wanted to go 4-wheeling really badly. Every place I have suggested, Reed says he doubts the road is open. As we drove the canyon, we checked out several good spots for 4-wheeling. Most were gated with signs of closure from November to May. How disappointing!



When we were passing First Dam and ready to enter Logan Canyon, there was a 3 point buck walking along the hillside. Too bad I didn't have the camera with the good zoom on it.


Thanks to Marilyn, who gave me one of these for Thanksgiving last year or the year before, I was able to make some of these treats for those I visit teach etc. Jill helped me with the paper to accompany the sacks. It says:

Blessing Mix

Each ingredient in this snack symbolizes something associated with Thanksgiving.

Bugles - represents a cornucopia - a horn of plenty

Pretzels - represent arms folded in thanks and prayer

Candy Corn - represents the sacrifices of the Pilgrims' first winter. Food was so scarce that settlers survived on just a few kernals of corn a day

Peanuts and Sunflower seeds - are the promises of a future harvest, one we will reap only if seeds are planted and tended with diligence

Dried fruit - Thanksgiving is the celebration of the harvest

Happy Thanksgiving!


One evening we were coming back from town and there was a gorgeous sunset. The colors were very vivid and bright...turquoise blue and orange. I raced home to take a picture but the sky was a minute or two past its prime. I guess I should have pulled over to get the shot I wanted.

No comments: