Saturday, October 30, 2010

Tending in Oklahoma









We flew to Oklahoma City on Thursday, October 21st to spend time with our Okie grandkids while Ty and Jodi went on vacation. They flew to Miami and joined other Rove Pest Control managers and wives for a cruise. The cruise ship had some problems and they were delayed in Miami for so many extra hours that the trip itinerary had to be changed. Instead of Grand Cayman and Jamaica, they had to settle for Key West and Jamaica. This trip ended up being over Jodi and Ty's 6th anniversary. They brought back some neat souvenirs.

We had our share of problems...4 kids, 5 and under, with diarrhea, vomiting and runny noses. Most of the throwing up came during the night and all over pajamas, sheets, blankets, stuffed animals, dolls, mattress pads, the floor etc. After the first episode and spending the day doing clean-up and laundry, we thought things were under control. Then the other three kids puked all over their beds and belongings the next night. Reed had to take the larger items to the laundromat while I spent the day washing at home. We, again, got the beds taken care of and then we had a bedwetting incident. And the drama continued with the kids for 5 days, then Reed got sick, then I did. I'll spare all the disgusting details.

We got tired of kid's videos and TV. I started to hum Baby Einstein music. We went on a couple of rides around the area and to the Oklahoma City Temple. We baked cookies and played outside. Reed and I refereed numerous kiddie conflicts and tried to keep everyone happy. We changed many, many diapers, did mountains of laundry, read stacks of books and gave lots of baths.

Owen, 5, is in Kindergarten. He is really smart and a big help. We rely on him a lot. I have to say that Abby, almost 5 months, is the most happy, easy-going, low-maintenance baby I have ever been around. It would be nice to be so pleasant and smiley all the time. Such a good baby! She is a featherweight but very strong and active. Miles, 3, and Olivia, 2, are handfuls and can be very strong-willed. They kept us on our toes but they took long afternoon naps so we could regain some much-needed sanity. We are just too old for this! Now WE need a nap and a vacation! We flew home on Friday, Oct. 29th.

No comments: