Sunday, January 29, 2012

Miscellaneous

I think I forgot to post this picture earlier. On January 8th, Ashlyn's 8th birthday, Robin flew to California with Ashlyn. They did the California Adventure/Disneyland type things. Last Monday Andrew and Katelyn flew to California for a daddy-daughter date. Before they left they had to make a quick trip to the doctor to put a cast on Katelyn's arm. They had been waiting over the weekend for the swelling to go down. Darn monkey bars! This is her second broken arm. She picked out a bright pink cast and said she wants to get a green one next time. Andrew will be starting his new job in Salt Lake on February 6th. Aubrey has been working to be toilet-trained and is transitioning from the crib to a toddler bed. Ashlyn will be in a dance competition on the first Saturday of February so will be baptized on March 3rd. Ashlyn, Robin, Katelyn, Andrew, Aubrey


The sheetrock has been delivered to our home and the scaffolding has gone up so they can get ready to do the exterior. We had some major issues come up in regards to the house but we think we've got them ironed out with the builder, agent or whoever. There are still some things that tick me off but I'll skip the details. Hopefully we will move in sometime in March. Our house is on Coyote Ridge Drive. I was wondering how we should say 'Coyote.' I posed the question on Facebook and everyone who responded pronounces it using 3 syllables and long vowels: Ki-o-tee. I normally do the 2 syllable pronunciation with long vowels: Ki-ot. But what do I know? I say 'crick' instead of 'creek.' According to daughter, Robin, and granddaughter, Natalie, I mis-pronounce everything.


Brynlee is selling Girl Scout cookies. Thin Mints are my favorite. We've placed our order and if anyone wants to purchase some, let me know. We attended Riley's ordination as a priest. He is looking forward to his very first date...he has been asked to the Girl's Choice Dance, Sweethearts Ball or whatever it is called. Bryan is finally working days...12 hour shifts on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and every other Sunday.


Last Sunday we had our first experience on Skype. We talked to Jodi and the kids. Kind of fun!

On Wednesday we celebrated our 41st Wedding Anniversary. We went to a movie, "Incredibly Loud and Up Close." We thought it was pretty good. Then we had a rib dinner at Texas Roadhouse. 41 years ago I was attending USU, working at Steffen's Drug and living in my childhood home in Logan. Reed was working as a Teaching Assistant at WSU while pursuing a PHD in Pullman, Washington. Our first apartment was in Pullman. I got a job at WSU in the Political Science Dept. Then we moved back to Logan and lived on Darwin Avenue in one of dad's apartments. Reed had a job as an Research Assistant at USU and I painted apartments. We moved to another apartment in Logan, then down to Murray where Reed was an air pollution specialist for Salt Lake City/County Health Department. I worked a little while for Supreme Foods. Reed sold Prudential Insurance. We moved to a little old house in the northern end of Bountiful. Kimberly was born. We bought a duplex in the Val Verda area of Bountiful. Reed got a job as a Sanitarian for Bear River District Health Department so we moved back to Logan. Jill was born. We had a new home built in Millville. Robin was born. Reed worked as a lab supervisor at Dairy Herd Improvement Association. His office was on campus at USU. I was Millville Town Clerk. Candace was born. Reed obtained employment at Thiokol. Jodi was born. I managed apartments, worked at John D's TV, Moore Business Forms and Icon. We spent the bulk of our married life (nearly 30 years) in our home in Millville and Reed spent the bulk of his working career (nearly 30 years) at ATK/Thiokol. We moved to Nibley for 6 1/2 years. We retired. We moved temporarily to Providence. We are moving to Smithfield. This sums up our moves and jobs but leaves everything else out. We are best friends and we do everything together. We have been blessed and have so much to be thankful for.

We haven't had a big accumulation of snow so far this winter. The temperatures have often been warmer than usual and precipation arrives as rain. Because the ground is frozen the rain has caused lots of flooding. Many Cache communities have had problems. Mendon has been hit particularly hard. There are still road closures, muddy messes, ruts along the sides of roads and sandbags all over the place. Bear Lake did not freeze over. It remains open water.

When ordering food at a place such as Arctic Circle, the person behind the counter asks for a name to call when it is ready. The name is written on the order receipt and placed on the tray. We are amazed at how difficult the name, 'Reed' must be to some people. Often it has to be repeated several times. Recently when we have received our order we have been surprised to see 'Weed' and 'Ree.'

I was thinking the other day that 2012 is a year of 'milestone' birthdays in our family. Church-wise, Ashlyn and Brynlee will turn 8 and be baptized. Tanner and Jayse will both reach the age of 12 and graduate from Primary. They will receive the Aaronic Priesthood and be ordained as deacons. I already mentioned that Riley is now a priest.

Bryan, Brandon and Kim will each turn 40! (niece Jennifer too)

Two old geezers, Gary and Reed, have the same 'biggie' birthdays in May and June.

I have a brother who will be 55, a sister who will be 60 and another sister who will be 65! I could go on and on but will quit here.

No comments: