It never really seemed like Christmas time even though we had our tree up and we used our Christmas dinnerware. There wasn't a lot of snow although what there was in the backyard was criss-crossed with deer tracks. I was sick most of the month with a horrible cold and didn't attend a single Christmas party or activity. We even cancelled our immediate family party and went out to eat after Christmas instead. All 31 of us can never get our schedules together. Jodi doesn't come home at Christmas. Fourteen of us ate at Texas Roadhouse when Candace and family came to stay. It was the worst dining experience ever but I won't go into details. When Robin and family visited, eighteen of us ate at Chuck-A-Rama. We spent way too much money at Christmas and we consumed way too many treats. I made things like cool-whip balls, fudge and pumpkin pie...and this time I remembered the sugar. I am always glad when the winter solstice occurs and there is an increasing length of sunlight each day!
Some December pictures:
Robin and Natalie-Everyone who attended the Milligan Family Christmas Party seemed to have an enjoyable time. I wish I could have been there. On Friday night they went bowling and carroling on a hayride. On Saturday there was a brunch followed by horseback riding and other fun. Thanks to Kent and Ron for all the work they did!
Chuck-A-Rama:
On December 24th we headed south to see our grandchildren in West Jordan and American Fork. We had nice visits. Candace and Jory were both at work but Mason, Tanner and Landon were busily cleaning the house so Santa could come that night. I had given Robin money to purchase gifts from us. It was fun to watch them open the presents we 'bought.' On the way home we stopped and ate at Tempanyaki in Layton. We enjoyed the meal.
On Christmas morning presents were opened before going to sacrament meeting. I always think it is fitting to have church on Christmas Day. After church services we had a Christmas dinner then went to see the Johnsons. We had an enjoyable visit during which they unwrapped the gifts we gave them.
We updated our laptop and I am struggling to get used to it. Jill wears a down jacket she loves. I gave one to Courtney for Christmas and bought one for me as well. It is very warm and lightweight but mine looses little feathers constantly. Pretty soon it will be an empty shell!
Seeing dead deer along the side of the roads is a daily occurence but on the way back from Jodi's we saw a different sort of roadkill...a huge elk. That is the first time we have seen that. I wonder what the vehicle looked like after the crash. In Utah I think there is a ratio of something like 18 bucks to 100 does. One day on 100 East in Providence I stopped to let a nice 4 point buck cross the road.
At year's end we have not only a foundation but our basement has been poured as well. Our new home is nearly exactly the same longitude as Jill's home, perhaps just a few feet or inches different. We are 9.5 miles straight north of her (as the crow flies). Taking the upper bench route or going down to Main Street to our home is nearly identical in distance at nearly 13 miles each way. As Hailey pointed out, running a full marathon would be like running from their home in Providence to ours in Smithfield and back. The elevation of Jill's home is a little over 5000 feet above sea level while ours is about 70 feet lower.
Kim takes height measurements of her kids each year. Jayse is starting 2012 a full 4 inches taller than at the beginning of 2011! Seriously, every time we see him he appears noticably taller. Riley has made it to 6'2"! And all my growth is sidewards.
No comments:
Post a Comment